Spouse Visa UK

Spouses of UK citizens or permanent residents who are settled may come to the UK under the Spouse Visa-UK category and are able to work as soon as the leave is granted.

You will need to meet the following Spouse Visa-UK requirements to come to Britain:

  • Once you are married you will be able to apply for a spouse visa. With the new rules from 9th July 2012 you will be given a visa for a 5 year probationary period to test the relationship.
  • The Sponsor (British citizen or permanent resident) must earn over £18,600 and even more if children are required to come with the applicant to the UK.

  • If you have been together more than four years outside the UK and you have passed the Life in the UK test, you are eligible for indefinite leave to Enter in the UK without having complete the Spouse Visa-UK probationary period. You will need the Life in the UK Test for Leave to Enter. This option has been abolished in the 9th July 2012 visa changes.

  • Both partners have to be over 18 years old before this Spouse Visa-UK can be applied for

  • The UK citizen or permanent resident (the sponsor) must have actually met their spouse to get a Spouse Visa-UK. This is to prevent a situation that occurs sometimes in arranged marriages where the husband and wife have never met each other

  • You must intend to live together in order to obtain a Spouse Visa-UK

  • You must possess sufficient funds to pay you and your spouse’s living expenses and those of any dependants without claiming public funds. Public funds cover various benefits paid by the UK Government if you are currently looking for work or if you are on a low income

  • Accommodation for the couple, and any dependants, must be suitable and available (adequate). It must not create overcrowding and you must have permission from the owner of the property for all your family to stay there

  • Spouses seeking to come to the UK on the basis of marriage to a British Citizen should apply for entry clearance before entering the UK

  • If you have valid entry clearance for six months or less in the UK you cannot change status to a Spouse Visa-UK. Usually visitors don’t realise that they will have to leave the country and come back with the correct entry clearance, in this case a Spouse Visa UK

  • Children of the marriage who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the main applicant

After a total period of three years in the UK, if you meet the residence requirements you may then apply for British Citizenship

Free Assessment