If you’re in the UK and your significant other is in another part of the world, you may miss each other and want to be together again. If you want to bring the love of your life to the UK, you can do that through a spouse visa.
Spouse Visas allow your husband or wife to come to the UK for a certain period of time to live with you. If that period is about to end, the visa may be extended as well. However, is it possible to apply for a spouse visa from overseas? You’re about to find out.
What is a spouse visa?
Spouse visas are given to people who are married to UK permanent residents or citizens and want to live with their significant other. As soon as the leave is granted, the spouses are able to work.
Spouse visas are valid for 2 years and a half, and you could extend them before the time is up if you meet all the requirements. If you live in the UK with this visa for 5 years, you can apply to become settled under the Indefinite Leave to Remain.
What are the requirements?
There are certain things to be taken into account before applying for a spouse visa. You need to meet certain conditions, or you wouldn’t be able to obtain one. Here are the requirements:
- You and your partner have to be over 18 years old before applying for the visa. Basically, you have to be 18 at the time of the application, not on the trip date.
- You need to be married to be able to apply for the visa.
- To obtain it, you must have the intention to live together.
- You need to have proof of your savings. If you have a child, you must earn over £18,600 or £22,400. Moreover, you should have an additional £2,400 for each child if you have more than one.
- You need to have savings in your bank account to prove that you can pay for both of your living expenses without claiming public funds.
How to apply for a visa from overseas?
First of all, you need to know that the UK resident needs to be the sponsor. They need to assist with the preparation of the form and its application. Also, it’s essential for them to make sure that you provide correct information.
On the other hand, you will have to submit documents, pay a fee, book appointments and wait for the visa. There are several steps to take when you apply for a visa from overseas and we will detail them below.
What is the process?
When you apply for a visa from overseas, there is a certain process that takes place. Here are the steps:
- Checking for eligibility – You need to check whether you are eligible to obtain a visa or not. Make sure you have the right age, you are married to your partner and you have enough funds.
- Obtaining documents – You have to obtain the required documents so that you can get the spouse visa. Ensure you have everything that you need.
- Completing paper forms – You need to fill in every needed document for your visa application.
- Completing online forms – Online forms require completion if you wish to apply online.
- Paying the visa fee – Just like any visa, the spouse visa requires a fee to be able to obtain it. Check for the visa fee and make sure you have the right amount of money for it. The fee should be around £1,000.
- Booking biometric appointment at the visa centre – The next step is booking an appointment, so you have your biometrics taken. This data will make it easier to identify you.
- Going to the centre, giving biometrics and sending documents – You will have to provide all of these things to Sheffield. However, in some countries, the documents are kept locally. They are scanned through to Sheffield in the UK for processing.
- Waiting – All you have to do next is wait for a decision. It usually takes about 1-2 months for priority and 2-4 months for regular.
- Receiving the decision – The decisions are not provided via email or phone. You will receive them in the mail, so look out for them.
- Travelling to the UK – Now that you’ve obtained the decision, you are free to travel to the UK and live with your spouse for a while.
Will the process be smooth and without mistakes?
WM Immigration can ensure that the process goes smoothly, and you don’t encounter any problem along the way. They will make sure to answer every question that you have about the visa application and reply as soon as possible.
You may not want to give your passport to an immigration company because you may need it. Well, WM Immigration can scan all of your documents and book you a same-day appointment. You can meet with a representative and have your visa approved very quickly.
Moreover, they will make sure that the process goes by as quickly as possible and you obtain your visa. They are carefully working to ensure that there is no mistake and you can successfully go and live with your spouse.
Being away from your wife or husband is something very hard, especially if you’re apart for a long time. For that reason, spouse visas exist, so they can help you reunite and live together for a certain amount of time. You can apply from overseas and wait for the visa to be approved, and then you can go to the UK.
Even if it takes a while, the process will go by smoothly and you will finally be able to live together. Make sure that you are eligible for the visa and you have all the documents and the necessary amount of money to pay the fee.