Skip to content

How to Apply for a Health and Care Worker Visa

How to Apply for a Health and Care Worker Visa: A Comprehensive Guide

Are you thinking about applying for the new Health and Care Worker Visa? Not sure if your are eligible? Not sure how much it costs or if your family can join you? Read on and we will advise how you can qualify for this visa and the help we can offer you to prepare and submit your UK visa application.

Who is eligible for the Health and Care Worker Visa?

There are two categories of applicants: Newcomers Foreign Healthcare Workers (non-EU health workers) The first category is for individuals who have completed education in an approved institution or who have a skill recognised in the UK. For example, where the UK has a specific skills shortage, you may be eligible. The second category is for individuals who have the potential to meet the requirements for the health and care sector and are willing to apply for the visa. If you are a foreign worker who is seeking to work in the UK for the first time then you may qualify for the new visa category. Why is the new visa important?

How to Qualify for the Health and Care Worker Visa

Health and Care Visa – How to apply The health and care worker visa can be applied for if you: are a non-EEA citizen; are in the UK on your Home Office approved Electronic Gateway Certificate (under the Entry and Livelihood Visa) ; are aged 17 or over; and are registered on the Inward Mobility Scheme Register (IMR). If you meet the above criteria, you can apply to the Immigration Health Care Schemes and Work Visas Unit for the health and care worker visa. Health and Care Worker Visa – Find out what to do next Please note that the health and care worker visa can be difficult to obtain, and it is possible to apply more than once. To help you through this process and make sure you submit an application that is right for you, we have created a comprehensive guide for you.

What is the Cost of the Health and Care Worker Visa?

Application fees

The standard application fee depends on whether you’ll be in the UK for:

  • up to 3 years – £232 per person
  • more than 3 years – £464 per person

The fee is the same whether you apply from inside or outside the UK.

How long does it take to process my Health and Care Worker Visa? It can take up to 1-2 months for UK visa applicants to process and get their visa.

Check if an Employment occupation code is eligible for this visa

Your job must be in one of the following occupation codes to qualify for the Health and Care Worker visa:

  • 1181: health services and public health managers and directors
  • 1242: residential, day and domiciliary care managers and proprietors
  • 2112: biological scientists and biochemists
  • 2113: physical scientists
  • 2211: medical practitioners
  • 2212: psychologists
  • 2213: pharmacists
  • 2214: ophthalmic opticians
  • 2215: dental practitioners
  • 2217: medical radiographers
  • 2218: podiatrists
  • 2219: health professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified’, such as audiologists and occupational health advisers
  • 2221: physiotherapists
  • 2222: occupational therapists
  • 2223: speech and language therapists
  • 2229: therapy professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified’, such as osteopaths and psychotherapists
  • 2231: nurses
  • 2232: midwives
  • 2442: social workers
  • 3111: laboratory technicians
  • 3213: paramedics
  • 3216: dispensing opticians
  • 3217: pharmaceutical technicians
  • 3218: medical and dental technicians
  • 3219: health associate professionals not elsewhere classified
  • 6141: nursing auxiliaries and assistants
  • 6143: dental nurses
  • 6146: senior care workers

Money to support yourself

You must have at least £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself in the UK.

The funds must be available for at least 28 days continuously.

You’ll usually need to show proof of this when you apply, unless either:

  • you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months
  • your employer can cover your costs during your first month in the UK

Your partner and children will also need to prove they can support themselves while they’re in the UK. Check how much they’ll need.

Knowledge of English

You will need an approved SELT English language test at level B1 or higher. Alternative options are degrees taught in English with relevant NARIC documents or if you are a national from a majority English speaking country.

If your employer can support you instead – Sponsor certifies maintenance

Your certificate of sponsorship (COS) must confirm this. Your employer can complete the ‘sponsor certifies maintenance’ section on your certificate. This is under ‘Additional data’. This will avoid you having to show bank statements for maintenance and especially useful if you accidently dropped below the required savings during the 28 day period.

Can Family Members Join me?

To qualify for this visa, your application must meet the requirements of the health and care workers scheme. If you are married to or in a civil partnership with a UK national, your partner can also apply for this visa if he or she meets the conditions. Can I Only Work in Hospitals? This type of visa is for medical professionals only. . All medical professionals who wish to work here must have a UK registration. They must have a current Full or Intermediate Medical Registration and possess a current certificate of competence in their registered area of specialty.

How to Apply for a UK Visa

The way you apply is quite simple. In order to apply for the NHS Migrant Health and Care Worker Visa you need to submit your application form online visa the Home Office website. You do not need a work contract, which is your main requirement for the first time NHS Migrant Health and Care Worker Visa, but you need to provide other details as well, to prove you are financially stable and have enough funds for your family to come with you to the UK. Before you make your application you should consider which type of visa you are applying for. NHS Migrant Health and Care Worker Visa allows you to work for up to 5 years before you can apply for the Indefinite leave to remain..


I want you to be the first one to hear about a new visa that will let you live and work in the UK and help you meet your ultimate goal of working in the NHS. Why is this visa so special? It will allow you to help provide services for the elderly in the UK it will not prevent you from working for any other healthcare organization. It has a healthcare experience requirement It is a gateway for talented health and care workers to come to the UK to work and make a difference and it has low costs We hope this will get you started on your visa application journey and answer some of your questions.

UK Immigration Lawyers - Contact Us

Please select the most relevant inquiry type
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.