Skip to content

Employing Overseas Workers

How to Employer Foreign Nationals In The UK

Understanding the requirements for employing foreign workers can be a difficult process for many employers. Despite large numbers of unemployed people in the UK, many businesses still struggle to recruit the right talent and skilled workers for their company. This can lead to productivity issues or other problems that reduce a company’s output. To resolve this issue employers can apply to the Home Office for a Sponsor Licence to employ foreign workers. The most common of these being the Tier 2 Sponsor Licence. This will grant the employer a licence to employ skilled workers who are either on the shortage occupational list or when the employer has advertised unsuccessfully for a position.

Once an employer has a Sponsor Licence they can then login to their Home Office portal and issue a Certificate of Sponsorship for the employee. This is a virtual document (a number) which you give to the prospective employee. They then put this number on their Tier 2 General application form and apply for a Tier 2 General visa. Once approved they can then work for your business.

Summary of steps for Employing Foreign Workers

  • Apply for and be granted a sponsor licence
  • Check that no other EEA workers could do the job (through advertising, specific rules apply here)
  • Issue a certificate of sponsorship to the applicant
  • The applicant needs to then be approved and granted a Tier 2 General visa

Next Step in Employing Foreign Workers

Once you have issued your prospective employee a certificate of sponsorship they can then apply under Tier 2 or Tier 5 of the points based system under the UK immigration rules. Here at WM Immigration we have the professional skills and experience to assist you with your application to get registered to employ foreign workers from outside the EEA.

Indefinite leave to remain is an option for your employee if they are already working in the UK depending on their circumstances. This would give them permanent residence and you would not have to deal with the stress of getting certificates and UK work visas in the future for your employee’s leave to remain. This way instead of employing foreign workers you will be employing settled workers in the UK.

We can help you get registered for Employing Foreign Workers and take the hassle out of the process. Please Contact us for further information and learn about employing foreign workers.

UK Immigration Lawyers - Contact Us

Please select the most relevant inquiry type
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.