Common Tier 4 Student Visa questions

Answers to Student Visa Problems

How I can I study in the UK?

If you want to come to the UK to study the first thing you need to do is get accepted into a program of study by a University or College that is on the list of Sponsors managed the UKBA. Once you are accepted, the College/University will issue you Confirmation of acceptance for Studies (CAS). When you get the CAS number you will include this with your Tier 4 visa application. You will also need to have the first years Tuition fees upfront and living costs which are determined whether you study inside London or Outside London when you apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa. You will also have to meet the English language requirement.

Can I work when I’m studying in the UK?

For students sponsored by and studying directly with higher education institutions, you will retain the current level of permission to work at 20 hours per week part-time during term-time for students undertaking courses at degree level or above and 10 hours per week part-time during term time for students undertaking courses below degree level. All students studying directly with higher education institutions will be able to work full-time during vacations.

What if I want to come to the UK to study for a short course that is less than 6 months in duration?

If you want to come to the UK to take up a small course or educational program you can apply for a UK Student visitor visa. This will permit you to come to the UK and study on a short course. You won’t be allowed to work on a Student Visitor Visa. If you are in the UK on a Student visitor visa you can’t apply to have it extended. You will have to leave the UK before your visa expires. You will have to be accepted onto the course by an approved institution and show you can support yourself during your stay in the UK.

I want to view several Universities first before I decide if I want to become a full time student. Is this permitted?

If you are serious about studying in the UK full time, but have not yet decided on a University, you can apply as a Prospective Student. This visa has a 6 month duration and will let you come to the UK and view the different places you are interested in attending. After you have decided on a University you can apply within the country to switch and become a full time Tier 4 Student.

How can I meet the English test requirements?

If you are from an English speaking country you will likely already pass this requirement. If you aren’t from an English speaking country and you or your partner aren’t from the EEA area then you will have to take an English test. You will have to take a test in either the ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The test is not pass or fail. You are graded and have to meet a certain grade to satisfy your visa requirements. The Home Office now require all applicants to use the new Secure English Language Test (SELT).

Please note that getting a score of 3.5 in IELTS doesn’t equal the same as A1 in the ESOL despite the reference charts showing this. The Home Office have their own requirements and you need to check to ensure you meet these to avoid any problems.

I have a Degree taught in English. Do I need to still take the English Language Test?

If you have completed a Degree in English you don’t need to take the English Language Test. You will however have to prove that this Degree was taught in English. Usually they will show on the online points calculator but if not you will need confirmation from your education provider.

I have a Diploma that was taught in English. Can I use this to show I meet the English Language requirements?

NO. The criteria for the English Language test is very strict and unless you have a Degree taught in English or a higher Qualification taught in English you will have to take the English Test through ESOL or IELTS.

Please Note: The immigration rules change regularly so please contact us to ensure you obtain the most up to date Tier 4 immigration information.

If you need help with any Tier 4 Student Visa Questions then contact us for further assistance