EEA Applications

These permits are for nationals of countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland who need to submit EEA Applications. Learn how you and members of your family (whether or not they are EEA or Swiss nationals themselves) can come to live and work in the UK.

If you are not an EEA or Swiss national, or the family member of an EEA or Swiss national, you should check under Immigrating to the UK section to see what category you fall into. If you are unsure contact our office and we can offer a free visa assessment.

The different types of EEA Applications

EEA Family Permit

EEA Residence Card

EEA Permanent Residence


Which EEA Application type applies to you?

EEA Family Permits are an EEA application for those non-EEA family members of an EEA national. An example of this would be an Indian national married to a French national. Under EU law the Indian national is able to come to the UK to visit or work by applying for an EEA Family Permit.

After you arrive in the UK then an EEA application is made for a residence card which is valid for 5 years.

After 5 years have passed and providing your EEA partner has continued to qualify through work, study or self sufficiency then you can apply for Permanent Residency.

What can Permanent Residents do?

Once make your final EEA application for permanent residency and get approved you are free from immigration control in the UK and are entitled to the same benefits as a British Citizen. After you have has your PR for 12 months you are then eligible to apply for British Citizenship in the UK. This will mean you can obtain a British Passport and also travel to many countries in the world without having to apply for a visitor visa.

Find out if you qualify for an EEA Permit or other type of EEA Application today by contacting WM Immigration

EEA Application