Skip to content

Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa

What Is The Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa?

The Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa category is designed for candidates to apply for immigration to the UK on the grounds that they have a substantial investment or by starting or gaining control of UK based business. For the Entrepreneur visa you will need to have available £200,000 to invest in a new business or buy a business. You will also have to employ 2 full time staff. After 3 years if you have met these conditions you can apply for a Tier 1 Entrepreneur extension followed by indefinite leave to remain after you have completed a full 5 years in te UK.

Applying For An Entrepreneur Visa

If you are preparing to come to the UK to start up a business and need advice on how to apply for your visa contact WM Immigration for prompt advice and service and we Will be able to guide you through your Tier 1 Visa application process ensuring you follow all the UK Border Agency requirements. We have helped many foreign business people secure their Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visas. We have business contacts and solutions, should you need ideas or leads for creating and starting your new business in the UK. If you are already in the UK on a visa that lasts over 6 months then you can apply to switch into this visa category. Examples of visas people switch into Tier 1 Entrepreneur from are Tier 4 Student visa and Tier 2 General Visa.

Eligibility For Tier 1 Entrepreneur Applications

The Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa category is designed for candidates to apply for immigration to the UK on the grounds that they have a substantial investment or by starting or gaining control of UK based business. For your application to be successful, you must score a total of 95 points and meet all the other requirements of the Immigration Rules. If you are already in the UK in a different immigration category, you can find out whether you can ‘switch’ into Tier 1 Entrepreneur.

If you are applying to enter the UK under Tier 1 (Entrepreneur), or to switch into Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) from another immigration category, the table below shows how you can score points.

Access to investment funds
You have access to not less than £200,000
You have access to not less than £50,000 from:
1 or more registered venture capital firms regulated by the Financial Services Authority;
1 or more UK entrepreneurial seed funding competitions listed as endorsed on the UK Trade and Investment website, or
1 or more UK government departments, which have made the funds available for the specific purpose of establishing or expanding a UK business.
25 points

Funds Regulation

These funds are held in 1 or more regulated financial institutions
25 Points

These funds are disposable (free to spend) in the UK
25 points

English language Requirement

You can speak English to the required standard – You will require either an SELT Approved English Language qualification or evidence from NARIC that your overseas degree was taught in English and at least, equivalent to a UK Bachelor degree.

10 points


You have enough money to support yourself while you are in the UK. These funds must be held in your account for at least 90 days.

10 points

Do I Need A Business Plan?

In previous years the Home Office didn’t require a business plan and it was optional. Now it is a requirement. If you want to succeed with your Tier 1 Application you must ensure you have a solid and robust business plan in place. If you have a business idea or field of expertise and need assistance developing your plan, then contact us for further help. We will make sure your business plan meets the Home Office requirements and is suitable for UK business models.

How Do I Make A Tier 1 Entrepreneur Extension application

It is advised now to have a business plan for your Tier 1 Entrepreneur application. If you need assistance in the creation of a business plan we can advise a suitable company with experience in the field of making Tier 1 Entrepreneur business plans

Can I Bring My Family With Me?

Yes, you dependents can come to the UK to work and live with you. Your dependents will be granted a PBS dependent visa which will allow your spouse to work and your children to attend school in the UK. You must ensure that you have the correct maintenance fees fo reach of your family members and that this money is held in your account for at least 90 days.

Can I Work For Another Company With A Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa?

No, you must not work for any other company or carry out any work that is not related to your Tier 1 Business. Your spouse can work while in the UK, but you can’t. You can work within your own business so if you have set up an IT consultancy business and employ several IT technical staff you can work within your own company in whatever capacity you see fit.

How We Can Help?

Here at WM Immigration we have experience in dealing with many different Immigration applications. Our expertise and professionalism will ensure you are given the correct immigration advice. We understand the stress of making your visa application and will endeavour to give you the best chance possible of success. Our company has an established reputation and will provide advice regarding of your location.

Services We Offer

  • Eligibility Check
  • Tailored guidance on how to meet specific requirements
  • Document check
  • Review of Application Forms
  • Assistance with booking appointments
  • Same Day Visa Representation

Visa and ILR Application Premium Service

If you don’t want to wait months for your immigration application to be processed in the UK, we can assist you in getting it processed at the Home Office Premium Service Centre. We can have you booked in for an appointment in a matter of weeks and you will get your visa approved same day. No more stressful waiting! Our experienced representatives will attend with you to ensure a smooth application.

UK Immigration Lawyers - Contact Us

Please select the most relevant inquiry type
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.