Permanent Residence – EEA


When you have lived here for a continuous period of 5 years with the EEA or Swiss national (who must have been in employment, self-employment, studying or self-sufficient in the UK throughout the 5 years), you can apply for confirmation of your right to permanent residence in the UK.

Permanent Residence is a document provided to an immigrant under the EEA rules and not the standard UK Immigration rules. This is not to be confused with Indefinite Leave to Remain which is for people under regular UK immigration rules.

Do you need to apply?

You do not need to obtain documents confirming your right of residence in the UK if you are a family member of an EEA national.

However, you may be inconvenienced if you do not obtain this confirmation, as:

  • you may have difficulty proving that you are lawfully resident in the UK;
  • if you leave the UK, you will usually need to obtain an EEA family permit before returning here, in order to guarantee readmission as the family member of a qualified EEA national; and
  • you may find it difficult to obtain or change employment.


Processing times for Permanent Residence

The time taken to process your application will depend on how you make and how you submit it. EEA Permanent Residence applications have to be processed within 6 months according to EU law.

What documents do I need for my Permanent Residence application?

The type of documents needed for a Permanent Residence application vary depending on how your EEA family member spent their 5 years in the UK as a qualifying person. Contact us and we can assist and advise you on how to proceed to ensure you submit the correct documents.

Free Visa Assessment